Sunday, August 19, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Lebanon and UN in spat over Syrian refugees' return

UN is angered by Lebanon's decision to freeze renewal of residency permits for staff.

Lebanon's caretaker foreign minister has accused the UN refugee agency of discouraging Syrian refugees from returning to their war-torn country as a public spat between the Lebanese government and the agency deepened on Wednesday.

"It's time to tell them enough. That's it," Gibran Bassil said.

Bassil spoke to reporters during a visit to the eastern town of Arsal near the border with Syria, days after he ordered a freeze on the renewal of residency permits for UNHCR staff.

He frowned at the agency's emphasis in their questions to refugees on the lack of security guarantees and compulsory military service back home, and telling them the agency would halt assistance in the event of their return.

"Actually, they are telling them not to go back," Bassil said.

The UN is angered by Bassil's accusations and Lebanon's decision to freeze renewal of residency permits for staff.

"This directly impacts UNHCR's ability to effectively carry out critical protection and solutions work in Lebanon. UNHCR hopes the decision of the foreign ministry will be reversed without delay," spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in New York.

'Financial burden'

Lebanon has the highest proportion of refugees in the world - more than 1.5 million, which constitutes about a quarter of the country's population, putting a huge strain on the economy.

Authorities in Lebanon have long complained about the burden the country carries, with officials saying it costs the country about $8bn a year. 

Some groups calling for their return made major gains in last month's parliamentary elections as sentiments against the refugees have been increasing.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Egypt's Sisi signs new law tighteni...

Read More

Qatar accuses Saudi Arabia of block...

Read More

US ends Syria stabilisation plan wo...

Read More

Israeli forces shut down Al-Aqsa Mo...

Read More

Iraq says its warplanes killed 28 I...

Read More

Hamas decries Israeli decision to e...

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Global_News

Seif el-Din Mustafa was transferred to Egyptian custody and flown back to Cairo late on Saturday, authorities said.

Read More

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Israel pounds Gaza

India's Kerala state devastated

Capturing life under apartheid