Tuesday, October 24, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Bahrain: Explosion kills policeman, wounds two in Diraz

Authorities say 'relevant procedures' are being taken following the blast, which it blamed on 'terrorist'.

Bahrain's interior ministry says a member of the security forces has been killed and two others have been wounded after a blast in Diraz, the home village of Shia-Muslim spiritual leader Ayatollah Isa Qassim.

The ministry said on its Twitter account on Sunday that "relevant procedures" were being taken following the explosion, which it blamed on "terrorists".

There were no more immediate details.

Last month, authorities launched a security operation to "maintain public order" in Diraz, where a sit-in by Qassim's supporters had been going on for months.

Five people were killed during the police raid on the village, west of the capital, Manama, on May 23.

The government said the aim of that operation was to arrest suspected fighters and others wanted on security charges. At least 286 were detained as they confronted advancing police, who used tear gas and birdshot.


READ MORE: Clashes grip Ayatollah Isa Qassim's village


Qassim's supporters accused authorities of using excessive force, while a UN human rights chief urged an investigation into the raid, which he called a crackdown on dissent.

The operation followed Qassim's sentencing earlier in May to one year in jail, suspended for three years, on charges of corruption.

The cleric faces expulsion from the kingdom after authorities revoked his citizenship last year for alleged links to Iran and fomenting violence, charges he has denied.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

SDF says it captured al-Omar oilfie...

Read More

Tillerson visits Qatar in new push ...

Read More

Hamas: No rift with Qatar over Fata...

Read More

Tillerson renews Gulf crisis talks ...

Read More

Palestinian hunger striker's health...

Read More

Egypt police suffer scores of casua...

Read More

Global_News

According to estimates, the Duterte administration needs at least $1.1bn for the rehabilitation of the city.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Diwali: The festival of lights

Marawi in ruins after battle