Friday, December 14, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Italy bridge collapse: Three more bodies found under the rubble

Local media reports death toll in incident rises to 41 as state funeral held for 18 victims.

Italy bridge collapse

The death toll in Italy's bridge collapse has gone up to 41 after three more bodies were found under the rubble by rescue workers, Italian media reported.

On Friday night, remains of a family, including a nine-year-old, were pulled from the rubble.

According to the Italian press agency ANSA, the family's car was crushed by a concrete block from the bridge in Genoa.

Somewhere between 10 and 20 people are still missing, while rescue workers continue to search for them. Ten people are still in the hospital, with nine of them recovering from severe injuries.

The incident happened on Tuesday when parts of the 1,182-metre structure, known as Italy's "Brooklyn Bridge", gave way.

Some outraged relatives shunned official ceremonies as a state funeral service, attended by Italy's President Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, for 18 of the victims was under way on Saturday.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte declared a 12-month state of emergency for the northwestern city of Genoa and promised five million euros ($5.7m) to the rescue efforts.

Hundreds of people have been evacuated from homes located near the two remaining sections of the bridge for fear they, too, would collapse.

The bridge is to be demolished and an investigation has opened against unknown persons as the causes of the collapse are yet to be established. 

The bridge was designed by architect Riccardo Morandi and was inaugurated in 1967. It went through major reinforcement work in the 1990s.

According to a 2011 report by Autostrade per l'italia, which runs Italy's toll highways network, the bridge was suffering from decay due to high traffic.

Autostrade per l'italia said routine reinforcement work had been ongoing involving the bridge's foundations.

The structure was being "constantly monitored with highly specialised technology", a statement said. 


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Two border crossings open in divided Cyprus, first in 8 years

Read More

Ukraine rebel regions vote in polls slammed by Kiev and the West

Read More

UN chief sees 'parallels' with 1930s amid nationalism warnings

Read More

Macron urges world leaders to 'fight for peace' on WWI centenary

Read More

Erdogan and Trump meet in Paris amid Khashoggi crisis

Read More

12 killed in Sicily as death toll in Italy floods mounts

Read More

Most Read Articles

Most Read News

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Israel pounds Gaza

India's Kerala state devastated

Capturing life under apartheid