Wednesday, December 13, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Trump: 'I am under investigation' in Comey sacking

US president reportedly under investigation for obstruction of justice in connection with Russia collusion probe.

Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump confirmed on Friday that he was under investigation and appeared to take aim at a senior justice department official, in a tweet that seemed to encapsulate his frustration with an ongoing probe into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

"I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt," the president wrote in his tweet.

The tweet came after reports in The Washington Post on Wednesday claiming that Trump was being investigated for potential obstruction of justice by Rob Mueller, the special counsel investigating alleged Russian involvement in last year's vote and possible collusion with the Trump campaign.

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, denied that Trump was confirming the investigation in his tweet. The official claimed Trump was referencing the Washington Post's claims, which he said were based on "anonymous” and "illegal" leaks.

Trump's tweet that he is being investigated "by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director" may refer to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Rosenstein in a memo to Trump had raised concerns over FBI Director James Comey's performance.

While the Trump administration initially said that letter was the reason the president fired Comey on May 9, Trump later said he did so because of the "Russia thing".

And it was Rosenstein who appointed Mueller as special counsel to the Russian investigation.

Also unclear was whether the president's comment confirming he was under investigation was based on direct knowledge or media reports that Mueller is examining whether Trump obstructed justice by firing Comey.

Trump has also said that decided to fire Comey himself, and Rosenstein's memo followed that decision.

Increasing pressure

In another tweet earlier on Friday, Trump wrote:

Trump's tweets come after the top lawyer for his transition team warned team officials to preserve all records and other materials related to the Russia probe. An official of Trump's transition confirmed the laywer's internal order sent on Thursday.

The transition official spoke to the Associated Press news agency on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorised to discuss post-election decisions publicly.

The transition order came the same day that Vice President Mike Pence's confirmed that he had hired a private lawyer to represent his interests in the expanding probe. Pence headed the Trump transition until inauguration day.

The order casts a wide net on documents that could shed light on ties between Trump's presidential campaign and representatives of Russia's government.


READ MORE: Donald Trump and James Comey - A timeline


The order also covers separate inquiries into several key Trump associates including former national security adviser Michael Flynn, campaign adviser Paul Manafort, foreign policy aide Carter Page, and outside adviser Roger Stone.

In written testimony for the Senate Intelligence Committee earlier this month, Comey claimed Trump told him at a meeting in the White House in February: "I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go." Trump has denied any wrongdoing.

The memo sent on Thursday asks for records related to foreign travel, contacts with Russian "officials, agents or nationals" and background investigations into the top Trump associates now targeted by Mueller's probe.

The memo asks for preservation of electronic communications and data, telephone logs, audio recordings, videos, calendars and other items.

The transition official said the organisation has also separately asked the General Services Administration to preserve records from the Trump transition that were transferred to its facilities after Trump's inauguration.

The transition, a non-profit structurally separate from the Trump campaign, continues to operate with a small staff.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Women demand probe into alleged Tru...

Read More

NYC Port Authority bombing 'an atte...

Read More

Nicolas Maduro bars opposition from...

Read More

Nikki Haley: UN hurts Israel-Palest...

Read More

Are California wildfires here to st...

Read More

California wildfires bear down on L...

Read More

Global_News

The poll, delayed for weeks, pits former international footballer George Weah against Vice President Joseph Boakai.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

From snowfall to sunshine

Palestinians hold 'day of rage'