Sunday, October 22, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Double suicide attack kills 15 people in Nigeria

Suspected Boko Haram assault targets aid distribution point in Mashalari village in Nigeria's northeastern Konduga area.

Konduga area

At least 15 people were killed on Monday when two female suicide bombers attacked an aid distribution point in northeast Nigeria.

A rescue worker said the first blast happened at 11:10am local time (10:10GMT) in Mashalari village of the Konduga area, about 40km from Borno state capital Maiduguri.

"[It] killed 15 people and left 43 others injured," he told AFP news agency. "It happened during aid distribution by an NGO, when people had gathered to receive donations."

"Twelve minutes later, another bomber struck, but luckily only she died," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The rescue worker said both bombers were women but did not specify which NGO was distributing aid.

Babakura Kolo, from the Civilian Joint Task Force, a militia assisting the military with security, confirmed the rescue worker's account.

"We have dispatched out a team to the scene," he said.

No immediate claim of responsibility came for the attack, but the Boko Haram armed group has carried out similar bombings in the past in the region.

Northeast Nigeria is in the grip of a humanitarian crisis caused by Boko Haram violence, which has left at least 20,000 people dead and displaced more than 2.6 million since 2009.

The violence has devastated farming, leading to chronic food shortages and leaving hundreds of thousands of people on the brink of starvation and dependent on aid agencies for help.

Nigeria's military and government maintains that Boko Haram is a spent force as a result of a sustained counter-insurgency campaign over the last two years.

But continued attacks, particularly in hard-to-reach rural areas of Borno, suggest claims of outright victory are premature.

On Saturday, at least 28 people were killed and more than 80 wounded when three female suicide bombers detonated their explosives outside a camp for displaced people in Konduga.

This month, Boko Haram fighters fired a rocket-propelled grenade into a camp for internally displaced near the border with Cameroon, killing seven.

Amnesty International says Boko Haram attacks since April have killed nearly 400 people in Nigeria and Cameroon - double the figure of the previous five months.

The UN children's fund said last month 83 children had been used as suicide bombers this year, four times as many as in all of 2016.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Kenya political crisis deepens in r...

Read More

South Sudan: UN, US failed to preve...

Read More

Farmajo blames al-Shabab for Mogadi...

Read More

Senior Kenyan electoral official re...

Read More

Critic of Rwanda's president asks f...

Read More

Mogadishu massacre: A gravedigger's...

Read More

Global_News

Morocco's foreign ministry calls Abdelkader Messahel's remarks 'verious serious' and 'false'.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Diwali: The festival of lights

Is it autumn yet in Europe?